Police Log - Following his "UPS"


On January 1 at approximately 3:25 a.m. Warwick Police were notified of a silver vehicle possibly traveling the wrong way on Bald Hill Road. Shortly thereafter, dispatch advised that the car in question had crashed near the CarMax on Bald Hill Road and that there were reported injuries. Officers John Curley and Timothy Lipka arrived on scene of the crash and observed a silver four-door sedan with significant damage to its front end and that the airbags had been deployed.

Officers then spoke with the man standing outside of the vehicle, later identified as Jonathan Fernandez, 33, 186 Peace Street Apt. 3 in Providence. Fernandez did not appear to have any injuries from the crash, and officers asked him what happened. Fernandez allegedly responded, “I was trying to follow my ‘UPS’ and it took me this way.” Officers detected the smell of alcohol emanating from Fernandez, and that he showed signs of intoxication. When asked if he had been drinking, he reportedly told officers “Yes, a couple.”

Fernandez agreed to partake in a series of standardized sobriety tests as Warwick Rescue arrived on scene, and eventually he requested medical attention. Based upon the officers’ observations and training, and their interactions with Fernandez, it was determined that he was impaired and unfit to operate a motor vehicle safely. Fernandez was read his rights and transported to Kent Hospital. He later declined to take a chemical breathalyzer test.

Fernandez was charged with driving under the influence, first offense, and refusal to take a chemical breathalyzer test. He was eventually released from the hospital and transported to police headquarters, where he was held for the next session with the bail commissioner as a probation violator. Later he was transported to the ACI.

Officer Jonathan Reiff was dispatched to Island View Drive on January 1 at approximately 2:53 a.m. for a report of a suspicious red vehicle in the area. While en route to the scene and traveling eastbound on Cowesett Road, the officer observed a red sedan with heavy front end damage and leaking fluid from the engine compartment traveling westbound.

According to the report, the officer observed the car cross the double yellow line with both drivers’ side tires. Officer Reiff then conducted a motor vehicle stop at the intersection of Cowesett Road and Quaker Lane. Contact was then made with the driver, identified as Austin Walsh, 20, of 230 New London Avenue in West Warwick. The officer reported that he detected the smell of alcohol emanating from Walsh and that he showed signs of intoxication.

Walsh was asked what was wrong with his vehicle, and replied that he had hit something and his vehicle had become disabled. He stated that he thought he had hit a guardrail somewhere in the vicinity of Route 4. Apparently Walsh changed his story as to what he hit several times. Walsh said that he had consumed one beer that evening, and he agreed to submit to a series of standardized sobriety tests.

Based upon the officer’s interactions with Walsh and the circumstances of the accident, it was determined that he was unfit to operate a motor vehicle. He was taken into custody and transported to police headquarters, where he was charged with driving under the influence first offense, refusal to submit to a chemical test, laned roadway violations, and driving with no insurance.

Due to Walsh being unable to articulate what he had struck while driving, a search of the area was conducted by Warwick and State Police with negative results. A message was also sent to surrounding police departments to make them aware of the situation in case a hit and run was reported. Walsh was later released to a sober adult.

At approximately 4:53 p.m. on January 1, Officers Nicholas DiNardo and Anthony D’Abrosca reported to the Warwick Mall target for an allegedly intoxicated suspect in custody for shoplifting.

At the store the officers met with a member of the loss prevention team, who escorted them to the suspect who was later identified as Crystal Delomba, 34, who is homeless. According to security, Delomba made purchases for some items but left the store without paying for others. According to the report, a total of $342.57 worth of merchandise was recovered from Delomba.

Delomba was charged with misdemeanor shoplifting and issued a no trespassing order to Target. She was later released to a friend.

On January 2 at approximately 8:45 a.m., Officer John Zaborski was dispatched to the Post Road Sheraton for a report of larceny of rims from a motor vehicle.
At the scene he met with the reporting party, who stated that she parked her vehicle in the lot around 6 p.m. on January 1. When she returned the next morning she found all four tires had been removed from her car. Officer Zaborski observed that the vehicle’s passenger side front window had been smashed out, the glove box was open and that the suspects had removed the lock to the lug nuts. The vehicle was then left on masonry bricks in the middle of the vehicle. A report was taken, and there are currently no suspects.

Officer Sokphannareth Chea was dispatched to Scranton Avenue on January 2 around 8:36 a.m. for a report of a larceny from a vehicle.

Upon arrival he met with the complainant, who stated that he had discovered his Infinity had been rummaged through and items had been taken. Amongst the items taken were a new pair of jeans, a number of CDs, high-end costume jewelry, pill bottles and possibly an expired passport and spent checkbook.

Security cameras at the scene recorded an unidentified suspect enter the car at approximately 4 a.m.
A report was taken and forwarded to department detectives for follow-up.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment