Police Log



On Jan. 15 at approximately 9:40 a.m. Officer Brian Murray to the Greenwood Flower and Garden on Maine Avenue for report of an overnight break-in.

At the store, the Officer saw that a window of a door to the building had been smashed out but the dead bolt and door lock were still locked, and no other door or window had been tampered with by the suspects.

The reporting party said that she had closed the business around 3:30 p.m. the day before and when she came in that morning the register that is usually on the counter was on the floor.

It was determined that no money was taken out of the register and no money was taken from the tip jar.

The case was forwarded to Detectives along with surveillance video of the suspect and suspect vehicle. It was also reported that two other break-ins had happened that night in which no money was taken. The investigation is ongoing.


On Jan. 20 at approximately 1:29 a.m. Officers Nicholas DiNardo and Jacob Elderkin were traveling on Greenwich Avenue near the Lowe’s when they saw a Honda Accord that had struck a tree. The driver was identified as Luis Morillon, 25, of 14 Parker Street in Central Falls.

Morillon told Officers that he was uninjured and refused a rescue. Upon exiting the vehicle, Morillon was unsteady on his feet and fell backwards into his car, holding onto the vehicle to help him stay standing.

Officer DiNardo noticed Morillon to have a strong alcoholic odor coming from him, bloodshot and watery eyes and slurred speech.

Morillon agreed to a series of sobriety tests. During those tests, Officer DiNardo observed all clues pointing to Morillon being under the influence.

He was placed under arrest and taken to police headquarters. He agreed to submit to B.A.C. tests, for which he tested at a .171 around 2:09 a.m. and .172 around 2:13 a.m.

Morillon was then charged with DUI of Liquor or Drugs (1st Offense) .15/Greater with a Third Division Court date of Feb. 27.  His vehicle was towed from the scene and Morillon was released to a sober adult.


On Jan. 20 at approximately 2:14 a.m. Officer Gregory Accinno responded to a report of an operator passed out in a red truck at the intersection of West Shore Road and Tarleton Street.

The driver of the Dodge Ram was later identified as Melodie Newman, 19, of 1 Camden Road in Narragansett. The Officer observed Newman to be slumped over the steering wheel and unresponsive and the truck was still on and in drive. Officer Accinno reached over her to put the car in park then shut the car off.

At this time, Officer Jeremy Smith and Warwick Fire arrived on scene. The Officer woke up Newman by shaking and shouting at her. Warwick Fire then cleared the scene.

When asked for her driving license, Newman went through her wallet and pulled out her credit card. She told the Officer that she was coming from a friend’s house in Warwick and going back home to Narragansett. The Officer smelt an odor of alcohol coming from her breath and to have bloodshot eyes and confused speech. She told him that she had three glasses of wine a few hours ago.

When Newman exited the vehicle, she was unsteady on her feet. She then went through field sobriety tests, during which the Officer noticed clues indicating impairment during all three of the tests.

Newman was then placed under arrest and transported back to police headquarters. Upon search of her car, Officer Smith found what was believed to be marijuana inside a bag and a box of wine in the bed of the truck.

At headquarters, Newman refused to sign a form and did not agree to a B.A.C. test. She also did not want to be placed into a cell.

The bag of suspected marijuana tested positive for 12.3 grams of marijuana.

Newman was issued summons for DUI/Drugs/Alcohol 1st Offense B.A.C. Unknown with a Third District Court date of Feb. 27. She was also issued for Refusal to Submit to Chemical Test 1st Offense, Parking and Stopping Prohibited-Intersection, and Possession of Marijuana 1 Oz or Less 18 Years or Older.

Newman was released after signing for her property.


On Jan. 5 at approximately 10:55 a.m. Officer Christian Vargas responded to the Walmart on Bald Hill Road for the report of two flat screen televisions being shoplifted from the store.

The reporting party told the Officer that he observed a male take two flat screen televisions in his shopping cart through the Lawn & Garden area exit of the store without paying. Another male was waiting outside in a black F-150 (for which he provided the license plate number) and the males sped off with the TVs. The license plate did not come back to any vehicle in the system, however.

The total value of the merchandise was $1,496, which included a Vizio 55-inch TV and a Samsung Ultra High-Def TV. A written statement was obtained from the Walmart, who wished to press charges, and the surveillance footage was put into evidence. The report was forwarded to detectives.


On Jan. 18 at approximately 5:59 p.m. Officer Quentin Tavares responded to the Burlington store on Bald Hill Road for the report of a shoplifting that had occurred earlier in the day.

The reporting party told the officer that a customer had stolen several colognes from the store. The surveillance video showed a male placing 14 cologne items into a basket around 3:30 p.m. that day and leave the store. The 14 items had a total value of $524.86.

Surveillance footage showed the male, appearing to be in his late 20s or 30s, leaving the scene in a silver Mazda 4-door.


On Jan. 19 at approximately 5:36 p.m. Officer Matthew Caradimos responded to a report of a past shoplifting at Burlington.

The reporting party told the officer that at approximately 5:20 p.m. he was walking down the back aisle of the store and saw the side emergency doors to be open. He looked at camera footage and saw that at 5:14 p.m. a male, who was the same person who stole 14 colognes the previous day, and three females entered the store.

The group placed 31 fragrance items (valued at $619.69) in a shopping cart and then took a duffle bag valued at $11.99 and put all the fragrance items into it. The male and one of the females then exited out of the emergency door without paying for the items. The other two females walked around the store choosing various items and placing them into a shopping cart, but eventually discarded the cart near the front entrance of the store and left.

There was no suspect vehicle information at the time. A written complaint was provided and the store wished to press charges. A copy of the surveillance video was placed into evidence.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment