Police Log - 09/26/19



At 6:39 p.m. on Dec. 18, 2018, Officer Tyler M. Stone responded to the area of Main and Buttonwoods avenues for a report of a hit-and-run motor vehicle accident. Dispatch advised that a dark-colored vehicle had struck an attended car on Main Avenue before leaving the scene heading east.

At the scene, Stone made contact with the operator of the vehicle that had been struck. She reported no injuries. The officer also spoke with a witness, who described the incident and provided a license plate number for the vehicle that left the scene.

Stone reports that the registration was tied to a car rental company based in Lincoln. After contacting the company, he was able to identify and contact the person who had rented the car. That person, in turn, said her son had been using the vehicle.

Stone then made contact with the woman’s son, who said he had been a passenger in the vehicle at the time of the accident and that a friend had been driving the vehicle. He told the officer that after the accident, the friend drove the vehicle to a West Shore Road business and exited the vehicle.

The woman’s son later responded to Warwick Police headquarters to complete a witness statement. At that time, police also observed and documented damage to the rental vehicle.

Stone reports that the man who had been operating the vehicle at the time of the accident came to Warwick Police headquarters at approximately 10:15 p.m. on Dec. 18. 2018. He is said to have acknowledged being the driver. He told police he did not have his driver’s license in his possession, but he provided identification information. At that point, he was advised that he would be issued traffic violations related to the accident.

A subsequent check of the man’s information revealed his Massachusetts driver’s license was suspended and he had no license in Rhode Island, according to stone. At that point, a warrant was issued for his arrest on a charge of duty to stop for an accident, damage resulting to an attended vehicle.

Shortly before 4:30 p.m. on Sept. 20, Warwick Police officers responded to Woonsocket Police headquarters to take custody of William R. Hawes, 47, Attleboro, Massachusetts, on the warrant. Hawes was transported to Warwick Police headquarters for processing and later released with a summons to appear in Third Division District Court.

Hawes was additionally cited for driving without a license and a laned roadway violation.


At approximately 9:46 a.m. on Sept. 18, Officer Zachary J. Black responded to the Cowesett Hills Apartments rental office at 3595 Post Road for a report of damage to a stone wall, possibly caused by a vehicle.

At the scene, Black met with the property manager, who indicated that the damage had first been observed on Sept. 17. The cost of the damage was estimated at between $400 and $500. No security camera footage was available, and a canvass of the area for vehicles with matching damage yielded no results. The matter was documented.


At approximately 3:44 p.m. on June 20, Officer Anthony J. D’Abrosca responded to the JCPenney location at Warwick Mall for a report of shoplifting.

At the scene, an asset protection associate at the store told D’Abrosca that the previous day, two women had been observed selecting multiple items throughout the store before leaving without making any attempt to pay. The items included pants, shorts and sweatshirts. One of the women is said to have stolen items valued at a combined $250, while the other suspect is alleged to have stolen a total of $330 worth of merchandise.

D’Abrosca obtained security camera footage from the store and a written statement from the asset protection associate. The matter was forwarded to detectives, and an arrest warrant was later issued for one of the suspect on a charge of shoplifting.

At approximately 11:47 a.m. on Sept. 16, Warwick Police officers responded to Sixth Division District Court in Providence to take custody of Tinia T. Jackson, 25, 159 Glenbridge Ave., Apt. 2, Providence, on the warrant. She was transported to Warwick Police headquarters for processing and later taken to Third Division District Court for arraignment.


At approximately 6:40 p.m. on Sept. 17, Officer Jacob T. Elderkin was conducting a routine patrol in the area of Target at 1245 Bald Hill Road when he observed a vehicle traveling 45 mph in a 35 mph zone.

Elderkin initiated a motor vehicle stop and made contact with the operator, who was found through a records check to have a suspended driver’s license. The operator also had at least three previous convictions for driving with a suspended license.

Edward Greene, 47, 4 Coutu Court, West Warwick, was arrested on a charge of driving with a suspended license, third or subsequent offense, and transported to Warwick Police headquarters for processing. He was later released with a summons to appear in Third Division District Court and a citation for speeding.


At approximately 10:19 p.m. on Sept. 17, Officer Kyle J. Fitzsimmons responded to the Wendy’s location at 650 Bald Hill Road for a report of a disturbance.

Two other officers were already on the scene when Fitzsimmons arrived. They described the incident as a verbal argument between two parties that would result in no criminal charges.

A records check, however, revealed that one of the parties was wanted on an active bench warrant issued from Superior Court.

Charles P. Chavis, 52, 43 Lottie Drive, Riverside, was taken into custody on the warrant and transported to Warwick Police headquarters for processing. He was held pending a morning court appearance.


Shortly before 1:30 a.m. on Sept. 23, Officer Steven D. Moretti was dispatch to check the well being of a man observed walking in the area of Route 37 eastbound.

Moretti located and made contact with the man, who is said to have told the officer he was walking to Harrington Hall. A subsequent records check found the man was wanted on an active bench warrant issued from Third Division District Court.

Peter J. Weaver, 56, 30 Howard Ave., Cranston, was taken into custody on the warrant and transported to Warwick Police headquarters for processing. He was later taken to the Adult Correctional Institutions.


2 comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment

Dumb Peter there was no need to show ID!!! again this is not a stop and identify state.

Peter your rights were violated!!! Should have told moretti your last name was Cicilline he would have let you go!!!!!

Thursday, September 26, 2019

Since Mr. Weaver was the subject of a Check the Wellbeing call, he could potentially be a danger to himself or others and the officer needs to determine who he/she is to ensure proper assistance is rendered. Failure to identify yourself is also a consideration for arrest in RI, particularly if a person is exhibiting strange, unusual and/or suspicious behavior; in many cases, not providing an ID is considered suspicious behavior in and of itself...Catch-22. An individual can be "temporarily" detained, which MAY last until you identify yourself- the only question is how much free time you have on your hands.

There's an easy way and a hard way, but it's always MY way.

Monday, September 30, 2019