Police log - Oct. 16, 2018


Driving under the influence

On Oct. 6 at approximately 4:36 p.m. Officer Steven Moretti responded to the Taco Bell on Bald Hill Rd. for the report of a driver who had gone through the drive through who seemed to be impaired.

Other officers were already on scene, and they made contact with the driver, identified as Joseph Souza, 35, of 100 Gardners Neck Rd. in Swansea, MA.  Souza was the only occupant of the car and had a strong odor of alcohol coming from his breath, had bloodshot eyes, and slurred speech, according to Officer Moretti.  The officer also said he saw a full nip bottle of whiskey in the center console.

Souza told the officers he was there to get something to eat and had been drinking “earlier in the evening.”  He got out of the car and was unsteady on his feet, and told the officers he was not driving, though Sergeant Stephen Major had observed him drive through the parking lot and get food after it was reported that there was a male passed out in his car.  The report said that Souza had passed out in the Taco Bell parking lot, then got up and drove out onto Bald Hill Rd. then back into Taco Bell to go to the drive-through.

A witness from the Taco Bell stated in a report that Souza was asleep in his car in the parking lot and appeared to be drunk, so she called the police. 

Souza was asked to do a series of field sobriety tests but he refused to do any because he continued to claim he was not driving the vehicle.

Souza was then placed into custody and taken to police headquarters.  His car was searched and the officers found two open bottles of whiskey and one full bottle of whiskey.

At police headquarters, Souza refused to take any chemical B.A.C. tests.  Souza was charged with DUI/Drugs/Alcohol (1st Offense) – B.A.C. Unknown.  He was also charged with Refusal to Submit to Chemical Test (1st Offense).  He was then released to a sober adult with court summons.

Malicious damage

On Oct. 9 at approximately 6:06 p.m. Officer Matthew Caradimos responded to the report of malicious damage to John Wickes School, on 50 Child Lane.  A reporting party had said that four or five juveniles, all wearing red shirts, had appeared to break the window on the back side of the school and then ran through the woods.

Upon meeting with the reporting party, she told the officer that she was walking her dogs in the area and heard the sound of glass breaking, then saw a group of boys run past her.

The officer checked the area and found four windows to be broken, possibly by rocks.  There was shattered glass around the area.  He checked the area and could not find anyone.  Pictures of the scene were taken for follow-up.


On Oct. 6 at approximately 7:30 a.m. multiple officers responded to a residence on Glen Dr. for the report of a subject trying to break into cars in the area.

Officer Tomas Bogusz talked with a reporting party who said she observed a male trying to get into cars on her street, Glen Dr., but couldn’t because they were locked.

One of the neighbors have video surveillance footage showing a male trying to break into the cars, though he didn’t steal anything from them.  The report was forwarded to Detectives.


On Oct. 6 Officer Tomas Bogusz responded to the report of a stolen wallet from a car at Winslow Field.

The reporting party said she had parked her car, unlocked, that morning at Winslow field and when she drove home after she realized her wallet had been taken.  It contained $10 in cash, a credit card, and other personal cards.  She said she had cancelled the credit card.  There were no suspects at the time.


On Oct. 7 at approximately 8:54 a.m. Officer Rose Michel met with a woman who was also reporting a stolen wallet from her car while it was parked at Winslow Field.  She said the wallet was taken sometime on the morning of Oct. 6.  It contained $40 of cash and a variety of personal cards.  She had already cancelled her credit card.  She provided a written statement.


On Oct. 3 at approximately 5:29 p.m. Officer Thomas Duncan, along with multiple other officers, responded to the Target at the Warwick Mall for a shoplifting in progress.

The officers set up a perimeter outside the store due to the Target asset protection personnel contacting them about a male shoplifting from the store at the time.  They stopped the shoplifter outside the store and identified him as Jordan Perreault, 27, of 50 West St. in West Warwick.

Perreault was placed in handcuffs and transported to police headquarters.

The Target employee provided a written statement which said that she saw Perreault walking around the store and take a variety of backpacks and put clothing merchandise in them.  He also took multiple items of pet food and tick and flea care.  She said he then exited the main exit of the store, where he tried to run away before being apprehended by Warwick police.

The merchandise Perreault tried taking had a total value of $658.56.

Perreault’s record showed a Shoplifting charge from Sept. 24 of this year, which he was on probation for, which he violated with this arrest.  He was held to await court and was charged with Shoplifting – Felony. 


On Oct. 2 at approximately 5:40 p.m. Officer Javier Cabreja responded to the Dick’s Sporting Goods on Bald Hill Rd. for the report of a shoplifting that had occurred a few days prior.

The loss prevention officer said that the staff noticed there were sensor security tags missing from a variety of clothing, which was later found to be missing.  The total value of the merchandise was $526.43.

Video surveillance footage showed a subject passing all points of sale without paying for the items.  The report was forwarded to detectives for follow up.


On Oct. 2 at approximately 7:43 p.m. Officer Javier Cabreja responded to the Walmart at the Rhode Island Mall for the report of a shoplifting in progress.

Two females had taken $89.81 worth of merchandise, including Pokemon cards, and fled the store without paying.  They were approached by store employees outside the store and the items were recovered, but the two females got way.  The report was forwarded to detectives for follow up.


On Oct. 9 at approximately 1:56 p.m. Officer Jeremy Smith responded to the Macy’s at the Warwick Mall for the report of a shoplifter in custody.

The loss prevention employee said that the subject, later identified as Alicia Corbo, 31, of 48 Cedar St. in Johnston, had taken a Michael Kors jacket, which she concealed in her handbag, without paying.  The jacket was valued at $248. 

Corbo was apprehended outside the store and the jacket was revered.

Corbo was taken to police headquarters, where she was charged with one count of Shoplifting and released with a court summons.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment